Bed bugs have become an epidemic in some cities in recent years. Bed bugs are the size of an apple seed or smaller. They hide in the cracks of beds during the day until the nighttime when they feast on sleeping humans. It’s hard to tell if your bed is infested because sometimes people don’t exhibit any signs of bites. Small, red, itchy spots around your head and limbs might mean you bed bugsThe female bed bug lays hundreds of eggs during her lifetime. The newly hatched eggs are tiny and are harder to spot than adult bedbug.
- They feed off on humans and other animals such as dogs, cats, mice, rats, birds. They normally feed at night.
- Eggs are laid in mattresses, bed frames and divan bases. Eggs can be found on rough surfaces as well. The average life span is 6-12 months.
- They feed every 10 days when mature.
- They hide in bedding, mattresses, blankets, cracks and crevices during daylight hours. They can also hide in upholstery on chairs and sofas.
- Bed bugs don’t carry disease
- They do suck blood but the actual bite is painless
- They do not live under your skin or
- Bed bugs or their eggs are hitch-hikers.
They typically enter your home with new pieces of furniture, like beds, chairs and couches. They are also picked up in hotels and brought home in your luggage. Carefully inspect your hotel room for bed bugs when you arrive with a focus on the bed and furnishings remember they can hide in tiny cracks and may be on hard surfaces between the walls and the headboard. If you find them alert the hotel management and find a new place to stay.